"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Sunday 9 November 2008

Introduction

My daughter Helen commented last week in her Blog that she was now keeping a notebook of new words that she comes across during her reading. "This week I bought a lovely little leather bound book to write new words in as I read them (most of my friends here being foreign I rarely learn a new word from an actual person). I've added a few from "1984", but my favourite has to be persiflage (from the French persifler) which means banter."

This inspired me to create a Word blog. This will include both new words and favourite words. A defibnition and some comment, perhaps even a relevant quotation, will acompany the word. Each word will have a separate posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment