"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday 9 January 2009

The Gentleman Who Pays the Rent


Nowadays if someone referred to "The Gentleman Who Pays the Rent" one might be tempted to think of a man who kept a mistress. But that is not what the expression meant in olden days. It referred to the household's pig. Often the greatest asset in the house a pig not only provided potential for trading but it was also said that the only part of a pig you couldn't use was the squeak!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha and hmmmm

    I would have thought that "The Gentleman Who Pays the Rent" meant that someone had space enough to rent a room out to some fine gentleman.

    Never would have guessed this one, Scriptor...but it's cute. I love pigs (just a fact about my likings). I think they're adorable...maybe it all began with the Charlotte's Web story that I read when I was young...I don't know but it's true (and tasty too).

    Like this picture.

    ReplyDelete