"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Saturday 7 February 2009

Duh!

I've already blogged about D'Oh (twice) and the first time I did so I mentioned it was not to be confused with Duh. Duh (pronounced duhhrrr) is an American English slang exclamation that is used to express disdain for someone missing the obviousness of something. It can also be used when someone states the obvious.


I cannot think of a better example of the appropriateness of "Duh!".

3 comments:

  1. I believe that duhhhrrr is a "modern day" slang of the word "duh". Back in the day(that would be my day), there was no "r" associated with this word. However, these days, I have heard your stated pronunciation. :)
    I love this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shabby Girl - it was lovely to wake up to a compliment this morning - just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, don't you love it! I get a giggle out of a lot of the obvious and wonder if there really are people that need those obvious tags. But then that is a d'oh, as there obviously is, or we wouldn't see them everywhere now.

    ReplyDelete