"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Thursday 19 February 2009

He came in at the window

I think most people will be familiar with the euphemism "He was born on the wrong side of the blanket" meaning to be born out of wedlock. The phrase was most commonly used when the mistress of a married man gave birth. A slight variation was to be "Born on the wrong side of the sheets".

Recently I came across two more euphemisms for the same situation - "He came in at the window" and "He came in through the side door".

I wonder if anyone knows any other euphemisms for being born of wedlock?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'd never heard of any of them, but my favorite is that he was born on the other side of the blankets! That was good!

    ReplyDelete