"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday 10 April 2009

Peccadillo

Strictly speaking, a peccadillo is an indiscretion, a petty misdeed, or a minor sin. More recently, the use of the word has been extended to mean a flaw or a peculiarity.

The plural can be spelled with or without an e before the s.

"All butterflies have their little peccadilloes and one of the Peacock's is to land on pieces of white paper to sunbathe." 

3 comments:

  1. I love it! God knows I have my Peccadilloes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all, Shabby Girl, don't we all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a fun word! glad i have plenty of flaws, so i can use this word often!

    ReplyDelete