"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Monday 13 April 2009

Redolent

If I had been asked to define redolent I would have said it meant "evocative". At the same time I would have said it was generally applied in respect of scent - for example 'redolent of pine forests on a sunny, damp morning." What I have actually done is add together its two separate meanings.

It does mean evocative; serving to bring to mind but it also has a separate meaning of fragrant or aromatic; having a sweet scent. Most people seem to add the two meanings together as I did.

"His verse is redolent of that of Shakespeare."
"The pinkish flowers are redolent of sweet violets."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment