"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Monday 18 February 2013

Momnesia


It has been thought in the past that mothers often recalled little of the first year of their child’s life – a concept known as momnesia.  In 2008 research confirmed there was a basis for such thought.  Apparently the parts of the woman’s brain needed to care for the young child block out extraneous matters and ‘take over’ those parts need for memory, hence momnesia.

2 comments:

  1. My sister and I were born in 1967 and 1968, and when I once asked my Mum whether she was one of the millions all over the world watching the moon landing on TV in 1969, she said she was so absorbed in taking care of us that she hardly knew this was going on at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I must vouch for the truth of this definition. I remember little of the first years of my three daughter's lives. Had never thought of it before. Ummmm, momnesia. Will have to remember that one!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete